WEMA BANK

WEMA BANK
Take control

Friday, May 6, 2016

Majek Fashek parts ways with Patron Ayiri Emami

File photo of Majek Fashek during performance.

Warri-based billionaire Ayiri Emami has opened up on the reasons he parted ways with embattled Nigerian music veteran Majek Fashek. The billionaire socialite was reportedly responsible for the upkeep of the Reggae veteran from 2015 after he was found unstable in
Lagos following his addiction problems. But seven months after the musician was discharged from an Abuja rehabilitation centre, it has been reported that things are no longer smooth between him and his patron Ayiri. Punch reported that Majek went against the instructions of the billionaire which led to the current development.


The billionaire said exclusively to Punch: “Majek Fashek is not under my care. When he left the rehabilitation home in Abuja, the doctors said that he needed to relax. They said he should stay off the music scene for some time. I wanted him to stay in Warri and relax. I provided everything that he needed to be comfortable. But he insisted on going back to music almost immediately. He kept insisting and, after a while, I had to let him go. That was it.” Ayiri also stated that the entertainer was emphatic about returning to music as well as joining his label but he refused. He later travelled only to return and find out that the singer had left Warri, left everything he had planned out for him all in pursuit of a music career in Lagos. This apparently led to the current issue between them. Ayiri said: “He wanted to join my music label, but I said no. I didn’t want other people to think that I did him a favour because I wanted him to sign on to the label. Instead, I told him that I could get him a good manager that would take care of him and his career, get him a car and every other thing…I travelled and by the time I returned one evening, Majek was already in Lagos.” This sounds quite disturbing but the singer spoke to Punch in response to the situation saying he left Warri because he didn’t want to be constrained creatively.

File photo of Majek Fashek and a fan

He said about leaving Ayiri: “We are still doing business together, but it is not like it used to be. I am an American-trained musician. When I was in America, I studied music and music business. So I am not in the same level as the average Nigerian musician. I am an international musician. Emami wanted to place me on the same level as Nigerian musicians and to control my music business. So I decided to move.” The embattled singer has been known to struggle with gaining acceptance in society as well as the Nigerian entertainment industry for years as a result of these and more. In 2015, he was put under medical supervision (at the Synapse Services Centre, an Abuja rehabilitation hospice) for several months over issues relating to drug and alcohol abuse. He was discharged in October, 2015 after which he made an appearance at the annual Felabration concert in Lagos.


No comments: