WEMA BANK

WEMA BANK
Take control

Tuesday, May 19, 2015

My invitation to Eagles is not a tea party affair, says Udoji

Chinedu Udoji, the invited captain of Enyimba FC of Aba on Tuesday said his call up to the Super Eagles was not a `tea party’ but an opportunity to add value to the senior national team. Udoji, who expressed surprise at his invitation, said in Abuja, that this was coming after many years of waiting.
Udoji is among the 26 players invited to Super Eagles camp to open on May 19, to start the team preparations ahead of the 2017 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) qualifier against Chad.

“I am surprised at my invitation; though I never lost hope because things were not going my way. It’s not about being invited to the national team, there is more to it.
Chinedu
                                                             Chinedu
“I have to work hard and justify my call up to the national team, that is the most important thing. Maybe the coach has seen the good side of my football and decided to invite me.
“I wouldn’t have been able to give a good account of myself, if I had been invited to the national before now; so, I feel this is my time.
“Since I have been invited, it is an opportunity to prove myself and I will carry on with the zeal with which I lead my club as captain so as to uplift the Eagles,’’ Udoji said.
According to Udoji, his invitation to the Eagles will not be to make up the number but to add value and enhance the performance of the team.
“I feel happy and honoured. It’s something of joy for me to serve my country because that is the dream of every player, to play for the national team.
“I don’t want to go there to make up the number. I will have to work hard to make the final team because I also want to represent my family.
“I am the image of my club and fans in the national team, so, I need to work hard to justify my invitation to the team by the coach,’’ he added.
Some of the new players called to the national team include, Udoji’s club mate Idris Aloma, Chima Akas of Sharks, Nelson Ogbonnaya of Heartland and Samuel Olabisi of FC Taraba.
The other also include familiar faces such as goalkeeper Daniel Akpeyi of Warri Wolves, and the duo of Solomon Kwambe and Azubuike Egwuekwe.
Kano Pillars’ midfielder Rabiu Ali is also making a return, while other regulars are defenders Chibuzor Okonkwo of Gabros of Nnewi and Kunle Odunlami of Sunshine Stars of Akure. (NAN)

No comments: