WEMA BANK

WEMA BANK
Take control

Saturday, May 16, 2015

Residents express happiness over cancellation of Ikorodu Oro festival

Some residents and business operators in Ikorodu area of Lagos on Thursday, expressed satisfaction at the cancellation of the annual tradition Oro festival.
Oro festival is traditional festival that restricts women and non indigenes’ movement, paralyses economic and social activities in the town for its duration.

Some of the residents and business men said that the cancellation of the 2015 Oro festival was due to the absence of a traditional monarch in the town.
They said that the festival, which was scheduled to hold on May 16, was cancelled because there was no king to give approval.
Mrs Silifat Adeyemi, a pepper trader at Ayangburen market said, “I am so happy that the Oro festival has been cancelled for this year. If it had held, we will not be able to come to the market as our movement will be hindered.
“I am trying to save money from the profit of my trading for the balance of my children’s school fees and unhindered trading activities is very crucial to me right now,” she said.
Mr Femi Awobona, a bricklayer said, “normally, I give my wife money for house upkeep on Saturdays but when she told me about the Oro festival scheduled for Saturday, my heart sank.
“This is because I knew I have to drop money before then and I didn’t have any money. When I heard about the cancellation of the Oro, I leapt for joy because God saved me from disgrace,”Awobana said.
Mr Innocent Ekegazie, an accountant, said that the Oro festival practice was archaic, barbaric and should be abolished by the government.
“The Oro tradition is an infringement on the rights of residents of the town and its practice is long overdue for abolishing .
“It is not an ideal practice and the world is too civilised for such an outdated tradition.
“It is unimaginable that on the day the festival is celebrated, we can not go out, businesses will not open, markets will be shut, even beer parlours will not open.
“The government should intervene and ensure that the cancellation is permanent. We do not want Oro festival again in Ikorodu,” he said.
It will be recalled that since the death of the last traditional monarch, Oba Salaudeen Oyefusi, on Aug. 2, 2014, a new king is yet to be coronated in the town.

No comments: